Wednesday, February 21, 2018

News from SFS Youth Orchestra

My first reaction to the recent press release from SF Symphony was, "Wow, the youth symphony is a little ahead of SFS adult symphony." The SFSYO will be playing a major commission from Iranian composer Anahita Abbasi, with the participation of the amazing International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) on its March 4 program.

I also have a vague memory of someone mentioning in a review that the Samuel Adams piece SFS played a few years back had been written for a youth symphony and thus, well, it must be easier than the usual symphonic repertory. I would not have reached such a conclusion myself after I heard it, especially not when youth symphonies play Le Sacre du PrintempsFauré’s Pelléas et Mélisande, and Ligeti’s Concert Românesc, which the SFSYO will do on its May 13 program. 

No comments: